- Mechanical Engineer [NHD] 1985 – 1990 (Masters - Fluid Mechanics and machine design)
- Marine Design [Small craft design] 1996 - 1997 (University of Stellenbosch)
- ROYAL INSTITUDE OF NAVAL ARCITECTS (2005)
MARINE BACKGROUND AND EXPERIENCE
Inflatable powerboat racing:
1987 – 2003
- Holds several national and international titles.
- Boats ranging from 4.1 meter inflatable to 8 meter rigid inflatable with twin 150 hp outboards reaching over 70 knots.
1988 – 1995
- Yacht racing, including the Dias Yacht race from Cape Town to Lisbon. [Line honors in open class]
1990 - 1991
- Mediterranean: Marine Engineer and first mate [Employment on several motor and sailing yachts]
ENGINERING EXPERIENCE PRIOR TO MARINE DESIGN PROJECTSBursary and study’s through Denel (Armscor) specializing in rocket and missile developments. Responsible for the design and commissioning of a water tunnel test facility. Final year project: Water tunnel testing to visualize air flow over missile wings.
MARINE DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT PROJECTS
1991 – 1996
- AQUA FUN LEASURE PRODUCTS
Started in 1991 with the development of a range of leisure craft suitable for resort rental operations as Aqua Fun Leisure Products. This company also manufactured and marketed these products nationally and internationally.
HYDROFOIL SUPPORTED CATAMARAN PROJECTS
Since 1996 all Hydrofoil Supported Catamaran design and developments have been done in collaboration with Professor Hoppe and the University of Stellenbosch. The hull and hydrofoil design would be designed and tested in the towing tank facility at Stellenbosch and often actual sea trails would be carried out in offshore racing events to establish the final hull design. All the design and technical work including the exterior and interior designs and project management for the construction and mould process. Professor Hoppe was responsible for all hydrofoil related designs.